Are you ready to make your own version of Mexican Tortillas? If yes, then prepare the ingredients that will be needed for this delicious food. You will need:
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder and;
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Now that you have your ingredients ready, do the following:
- Combine salt, baking powder and flour. Cut in shortening mixture until it’s crumbly. If it looks floury than crumbly, then add a couple of tablespoon of shortening until it’s crumbly.
- Add ¾ cups of hot water or enough to make it look moist.
- Either with your hand or large fork, knead the mixture. Rub the dough against sides of a large mixing bowl to have any clinging dough. If it sticks to the side of your bowl, then add more flour until it forms a round shape.
- Roll out the dough and let it rest.
- Cover it with dish towel and let it sit for at least 60 min.
- Pull the dough apart and form balls onto it. Put flour in rolling area and roll every ball using a rolling pin to around 1/8 inch thickness.
- Put every tortilla on medium hot cast iron skillet.
- Cook it for 120 seconds on every side or until your tortilla doesn’t look doughy.
Congratulations! You have made a version of your Mexican Tortilla.